Monday, October 29, 2012

Birthday Stash = Storm Preparation!

I celebrated my 57th birthday last week in grand fashion...by adding to my fabric collection!  To add to the fun, these goodies came from three states!  Fair warning...many pictures!!
Our first stop was a trip to Maine where we scooped up my mother in law and headed to Windham to the Calico Basket Quilt Shop.   I didn't count but I would not be surprised if there were at least 8,000 bolts of fabric in this store!  Yikes!  A really nice store with a wide range of fabrics, supplies and the biggest selection of patterns and books in one place I have ever seen.  From this stop I added the following:
Classic Christmas fabrics to augment a Moda Christmas Spirit jelly roll I have plans for.
Inspiration piece.  We just repainted our bedroom and bathroom in neutral greys I (love colors in fabric but consistently steer towards neutrals for wall colors...weird).  I am thinking of aqua/turquoise color themes for these rooms and this little beauty caught my eye. 

After spending a fun day with my mother in law (including a drive through Windham to see the lake where my in-laws met!), we drove south to New Hampshire to have dinner with our oldest son and his wife.  Included in the wonderful birthday gifts from them was this:
They just returned from a vacation in Washington and Idaho.  While in Seattle they stopped at Undercover Quilts and bought me this super fat quarter bundle...don't you love the way the store folded them?  See the little fish on the top one...so cute! 
They also brought back for me this fun Seattle piece...I see a regifting of this fabric (in a different form of course!) in the future!

Next on The Birthday Tour was my annual October trip to visit our son living in Chicago.  This is his sixth year living there and our 10th/11th? trip to the Windy City.  In each of these trips we try to see a little more of this great city.  Having checked off most of the "must-do's" in downtown Chicago, we have broadened our scope to the various neighborhoods around the city.  I decided we MUST visit Bucktown this trip.
Here we are standing in front of The Needle Shop in Bucktown (thank you Jacquie for the recommendation!!).  Bottom Line:  My son has permission to move to Bucktown.anytime.  Relatively speaking, a small shop but what an incredible selection of current, beautiful fabrics.  I loved every little piece of fabric in the store!  My son and husband wished me a Happy Birthday and set off to find coffee.  Recognizing that in fact buying a little of every bit of fabric might just be over-celebrating my birthday, I decided on the following:




Those gray rooms need some bright home dec fabric.  On the left is Ikat Medallion.  The cool flowers are Jessica Jones fabric available I understand exclusively at this shop.
More Christmas fabric..fun and bright this time! (Michael Miller - Tree Trimmers, Michael Miller - Yule Critters, Valori Wells - Wrenly Christmas)
 I do need some basics to go with all the colors!  (Dear Stella - Chevrons, Lotta Jansdotter - Little Florine)
What can I say?  I just had to have these fabrics!  (Melody Ross - Vintage Ladies, Michael Miller - Wooden Horses and Alexander Henry - Zhivago)

What a wonderful birthday!  And I have a visit coming this week with my third son and his soon-to-be-wife! The party just continues!

We think we are prepared for Sandy's visit to the Northeast.  Bread, flashlights, water, fabulous fabric.  I hope everyone is safe and gets through the storm with minimum damage.

PS  I am so thankful for a family that understands and supports my new little hobby.  Yeah!


No comments:

Post a Comment

How nice of you to take the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...